Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Writing for myself

I think the reason why I'm having such a hard time actually writing my ideas down is because I think too much about what somebody else might think of the quality of the writing. So I struggle with words to find the perfect ones and in the end the flow is blocked. The issue has actually come up quite a few times, but right now sort of becoming aware of it again. The reason why writing feels so hard is because I make it so hard for myself because I try to get it perfectly right the first time I put things on paper (or the screen or wherever). Of course I really dislike editing afterwards, but maybe it truly would be better if I got into the habit of just writing however it comes when it comes... and thinking about the best phrasing later, if I need to. Because if I have something already, it'll probably be that much easier to improve it later on when I feel like doing so at some point... but I don't get to the point of needing to improve things cause I don't have much to improve upon in the first place. And I'm the one blocking the flow. I want to write, I need to write, I need to express myself and put my ideas into words, but I make it so hard for myself that I end up thinking of it as a chore even at this level. Every now and then someone gives me a small push in the right direction, and I remember that I'm the one who needs this really, and for a short while I might even get myself to putting that into practice and write something, but then it ends again. Not that writing, especially writing well, wouldn't take time and concentration and effort, but, all things considered, I really should probably take it more easy, at least for now. This is one place where perfectionism really gets in the way for me.

No comments: