Sunday, September 23, 2007

On an even brighter note...

This weekend has been wonderful. I was (to my great surprise) invited to Taliesin's birthday party, and while I knew practically noone there, the people were so nice and the general atmosphere so cosy that I really enjoyed it. It took place in the countryside, and I went there together with Goblin (who, as it turned out, knew as little about where we were going as I did). We arrived a couple of hours earlier than the others, and somehow came to the idea of playing a trick on the other guests. Which basically involved me playing a Romanian witch girl in search of the Necronomicon (oh yes, I got the Necronomicon as a gift for Taliesin... as I heard they'd tried to summon Cthulhu on his last birthday, so I guess that will be one book put to good use :-P). I and Goblin had been hitchhiking when the driver started acting suspicious, and I hit him with my umbrella and ran away, in the end reaching Taliesin's place. While there, I exhibited a somewhat unhealthy interest towards the Necronomicon book, although as I had with me a piece of paper with a fragment of one of the book's texts in Runic writing (which I'd been able to copy from some old manuscript in a Romanian library, thanks to some friend working there, although the Necronomicon is a forbidden book in Romania), maybe the interest wasn't that strange. Well, it didn't really go much beyond that, we hadn't had much time to come up with it all. I hope the other guests weren't too upset at us after we revealed the truth! Any way, let's say it was a pretty good way of getting into the mood for a fun evening :-P Although we spent most of it talking about morbid topics, but that didn't mean a morbid mood.

So the birthday was great. Hopefully I'll be seeing the people again. I should probably go and try to rest/sleep/something now, as I'm pretty tired... yeah, I'll go and do that.

2 comments:

Turgonian said...

You scared me there! I calmed down after I found that the Necronomicon is in fact a fictional book, which matched what I already knew: that Cthulhu is a nonentity, invented by H.P. Lovecraft. I suppose (and hope) such games of 'invocation' are harmless. Yet...if I were you, I wouldn't go too far with this kind of thing. At least mere symbols do not bite.

But it's great to read you enjoyed the company of your friends so much, and that you had so much fun at the party. I hope you're rested now!

The most marvellous part of your story, of course, is where you hit the suspicious driver over the head with your umbrella. Three cheers! The mere description evoked the storyline of small, defiant good triumphing over a crushing evil, the little tailor against the giant, David against Goliath, Andeora against the driver -- and especially, of course, brave Lobelia Sackville-Baggins against the ruffian leader.

'She comes down the lane with her old umberella. Some of the ruffians were going up with a big cart.
"Where be you a-going?" says she.
"To Bag End," says they.
"What for?" says she.
"Sharkey," says they. "So get out o' the road, old hagling!"
"I'll give you Sharkey, you dirty thieving ruffians!" says she, and ups with her umberella and goes for the leader, near twice her size
'...
(J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, 6, VIII)

In fact, I wrote a poem about it. If you'd like to read it, tell me.

Andeora said...

*smiles* This year there were no evocations involved, so no need to worry. It would be most wonderful to read your poem, though.