Sunday, March 30, 2008

Something new old new

I know, I should be long asleep...

And no. You don't have to understand.


***

I was almost seven and my mother had left the window open for the summer night air to come in. Lying in bed I wondered if He'd know I was waiting for Him. If He hadn't shown himself before, maybe He didn't even care. Or maybe He hadn't visited just because He couldn't enter through the glass.

A gentle breeze blew through the room and with it came the sound of footsteps on the floor. I opened my eyes. There He was, standing at my bedside.

"Hello."

"Hello. I have waited for you every night."

"I am here now. What would you like to do?"

"Did you really fly all the way here?"

"Yes, I did."

"Can you teach me to fly? Could I fly with you?"

"Sure. Just take my hand and come along."

He smiled. I reached out my hand towards His and got up. My body suddenly felt so light. Moving around didn't require any effort. We easily jumped on the windowsill and rose up through the air till we flew above the roofs and chimneys. Stars above and streetlights below illuminated our way. Then we left the town behind us.

We landed on a hill in the plains somewhere.

"This was wonderful! Thank you so much for the flight."

"I am glad you enjoyed it. Is there anything else you'd want?"

"Anything at all?"

"Say what's on your mind."

"It's kind of a biggie."

"Don't worry about it. Just speak."

"I want to come with you. Stay with you. Learn from you."

"I only have one question. Can you tell me why?"

"So I could become like you."

"Is that what you really want, to become like me?"

"It is. I do. I really really do."

"Then I bless you in this."

With these words He placed His right hand on mine and His left over my eyes. Nothing seemed to happen. Then He stepped away. As I opened my eyes, I saw we were back in my room.

"All it takes to move around is thought really."

"Why are we back here?"

"To say good bye. So you could go to sleep and on your way to get what you asked for."

"Do you really mean I have to stay here?"

"You need to live this life."

"Will you at least come visit me again?"

"Perhaps, but you won't see me there."

"Why not?"

"So you can learn. And become more like what you wished for. It's not going to be easy. Not meant to be easy. You will suffer, and you will be alone. As did I, and others like me. Only later will you understand."

He lifted me up and lay me in bed again. The familiar feeling of tiredness and weight returned. With sorrow I watched Him go. A gentle breeze blew through the room and delivered me the last traces of His voice.

"Come to me when you've learned to fly by yourself. I will be waiting for you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lendasid?

Anonymous said...

I love this.