Monday, July 12, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

Back in Pärnu for a few days. So far so good.

Was thinking earlier about the power of beauty. Traditionally seen as something ennobling human nature. One of the cornerstones of what we might call civilisation. Also considered to be primarily a domain of women.

As I'm far too sleepy to say much more, I'll just give you a link to the old classic tale that illustrates my thoughts. With just a little side note that Jung mentioned the story as a symbol of a girl's journey to adulthood in one of his books. I'm not entirely sure how that works out... but there is something archetypal about it, isn't there.

Also, for the Greeks, Aphrodite wasn't one, but two: Urania the heavenly and Pandemos the earthly one. Looks like I'm not the only one to find a connection between aesthetic and spiritual experiences.

No comments: